QK-AS15 Coaxial Lightning Surge Protector
$44.36 ($36.97 excl. VAT)
- Designed to protect VHF / AIS / 3G / 4G/ WiFi devices from lightning and other induced transients on the boat.
- The coaxial construction assures excellent high frequency characteristics, wide bandwidth, low insert loss and VSWR.
- Heavy duty design and water resistant (IP65).
- SO239 Male to SO239 Female connectors.
- Manual / Drivers
When lightning strikes the mast of a ship, lightning current travels to the deck. Any cables mounted on the mast (e.g., the VHF/AIS/4G antennas or navigation lights cables) could be the route for the lightning current to enter and spread over the entire cabling of the on-board system. This can cause damage to some of the marine navigation devices, or it can damage the whole system.
The QK-AS15 is designed to ground the surge of lightning strikes on VHF/AIS/4G antennas. It reduces the voltage spikes and shunts the voltage to the ground through the ground cable, thus protecting the VHF radio and AIS transponders or 4G rounder.
The coaxial construction of the AS15 assures excellent high frequency characteristics, wide-band, and low loss and VSWR. The built-in gas-charging surge arrestor element ensures a fast response time and good functioning even after multiple lightning strikes. A ground lug and the terminals on the lightning protector housing ensure easy installation.
Connections and Installation
Installing the AS15 is simple with only a few steps process.
Both the antennas and the AS15 have impedance ratings, either 50 Ohms or 75 Ohms. The AS15 impedance rating must match that of the antenna for optimal results. Most marine VHF/AIS antennas have the impedance of 50 Ohms, but please check before installation.
- The AS015 is suggested to be installed inside of the boat, in a dry and clean space, keeping it away from combustible material. Although it can be connected directly to the VHF radio / AIS receiver or WiFi router, we would suggest having a 2-foot coaxial cable between the RF device and the AS15. This would save the RF device in case of the over voltage/current of lightning would damage the AS15.
- Connect one end of the AS15 to the 2-foot cable or to the RF device. Either end will work since the AS15 is bi-directional.
- Connect the other end of the AS015 to the coaxial cable that connects to the antenna.
Grounding the AS15 is extremely important, otherwise it won’t function as intended. If the external antenna is shocked by high voltage energy, this will help earth ground the energy.
Attach the ground wire to the grounding connector and use a set of pliers to crimp the wire on the connector firmly. The other end of the wire needs to be attached to a grounding point. When installing the wire, avoid creating any sharp bends. It is recommended to use a copper wire no smaller than 10 AWG (>2.5mm diameter) and keep this lightning escape wire as short as possible.
Help and Support
For any technical questions regarding this product, you can visit the forum at https://www.quark-elec.com/forum/ and ask us your question, it’s regularly checked by our technical team and your question may already have been answered there.
Alternatively, contact us directly, with details of your set up and we will be happy to help.
You may also like…
QK-A032 NMEA 2000/0183 Bi-directional Gateway + USB + WiFi
$175.64 ($146.37 excl. VAT)