• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am seriously considering purchasing the AO26 to use with INAVX on an IPad. Does this AIS receiver need to be configured on a windows based device before I install it on my boat to use with INAVX ? Also are there any suggestions for a GPS antenna to use with this application?

Thank You

Hello

No, the device does not need to be configured. If you’re connecting it to an NMEA system the QK-A026 will automatically set its own Baud rates. You may have to change them if you have a specific need. Then you would need a windows PC to configure the Baud rates.

Configuration is also needed if you wanted to put the QK-A026 in station mode. This would give you the benefit of not having to connect to the QK-A026 Ad hoc. Leaving your wireless device free to connect to the internet.

By tonight or tomorrow morning we will be selling a GPS antenna as an accessory to certain devices. You will be able to buy one from us and it will work with your QK-A026. Failing that any GPS antenna will do just bear in mind the connector for it is SMA connector.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Joshua

Anonymous

As a further illustration, I needed to use a Windows laptop to configure the NMEA output of my A026 to run at 4800 baud to send GPS data to my VHF. (My autopilot also requires 4800 baud but also may require the “Garmin” protocol translator, which I haven’t yet installed.) The A026 default is 38400 baud. But this configuration change was NOT necessary for, nor did it affect, anything like the iPad using the WiFi output of the A026.

The config app is very simple but requires a Windows laptop connected to the A026 via USB. The A026 cannot be configured via WiFi. I found this very inconvenient as a Mac/iOS/Chromebook user. Quark’s opinion is that configuration happens too rarely to justify an internal web configuration tool. My experience was that the device was specifically purchased and advertised as iOS compatible, and the user can’t know if the device needs additional configuration until it gets installed on the boat and hooked up to additional equipment, maximizing the inconvenience and time before the device gets up and running. This kind of stuff makes it difficult for me to recommend the device to others because I don’t want to become their tech support.

Note, speaking of tech support, it is entirely possible for an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad to connect to both the A026 WiFi and cell data at the same time without special configuration of the A026.

-connect your iPhone to the A026 WiFi

-go to Settings, select WiFi, select the blue “info” icon to the right of the WiFi network name

-note the IP address and the Subnet Mask address

-select the “Static” option and enter those IP and Subnet Mask addresses, leaving the other fields blank

-these settings will save on the device across boating sessions, but because of the way iOS works, you cannot see the settings unless you are actually connected to that WiFi network

I don’t think you end up seeing the WiFi connection icon in the corner of the device display. However, once you have iNavX configured to read the AIS data stream from the A026, you can ALSO download charts, check email/web, run Boat Beacon, etc. seamlessly using the cell data network.

If you connect several devices simultaneously you should be careful to specify a different IP address for each device. You can probably see how to adjust these instructions for other types of devices.

Hello

Yes you are correct you cannot configure any of our devices via WiFi. This is a security feature to stop tampering. You will need the USB cable and PC to configure this device.

We also have an easier option for setting the device into Station mode. In the configuration tool you can apply your home routers SSID and WiFi password. Then by clicking station mode and re powering the device it will automatically connect to your home network. This way you can use your mobile devices to browse the internet while your chart software is still receiving the vital NMEA data.

I hope this helps

Best regards

Anonymous

Hello,

I just bought a A026 and the Quark GPS-Antenna. I want to use the AIS- and GPS-Data via WiFi on my tablet with NV-Chart software. I would like to connect a VHF with NMEA 4.800 Baud to the A026 to get GPS for DSC-Functionality. In the manual I have red that the A026 supports 38.400 Baud. But in this thread someone talked about the possibility to configure NMEA output of the A026 to 4.800 baud by a configuration software.

So my question: Did I understand correctly that NMEA output of A026 can be configured to 4.800 Baud?

Concretly I would like to connect a B&G V20 VHF to the A026.

Best wishes

Grimpage

Hello

Yes the A026 can be configured to have any range of Baud rates from 4800 all the way up to 38400bps. The output can be configured very easily using the configuration software on the CD provided and as a download on our website.

To change the Baud rates, connect the unit up to a PC and open the configuration software. This will then allow you to change the input and output Baud rate for the NMEA 0183 multiplexer side of the unit. In your case the GPS will be fine at 4800 as the output. If you want to send AIS information to your V20 then you will need to change the output Baud rate to 38400 for the AIS. This way you will get AIS and GPs (AIS is 38400).

I hope this helps a bit more.

Best regards

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Cart