• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi!

I bought two QK-A024 AIS recivers some while ago, have tried both on one Raymarine Axiom Pro and one Simrad nss3. I can see the green lamp (#2) light up now and then, but see no ships on map. I have checked that view ais targets are on. I feel like a complete idiot. What am I missing here?

Does the green light confirm valid AIS sentence recived?

Btw: None of these mfd’s seems to be able to display the raw nmea0183 data, if anybody know better please let me know. If not I will tap in with a pc.

Thanks!

Hello

The green LED indicates a valid AIS message has been received. It will flash for every single message it receives so ideally you will see it flickering rapidly in a dockyard full of class A/B messages transponders. If this is not flickering then it is likely down to external factors like no ships transmitting class A/B messages or the antenna and cable are not functioning or connected properly. Please check these first.

If your LED is flickering a bit but you are not seeing AIS targets on your MFD then I would check the MFD. They should be set up to receive AIS information with the baud rate of 38400 set. Garmin chart plotters call this ‘high speed NMEA’, so please check you Axiom pro and Simrad settings to adjust this input. Looking at the manual you will need to set Simrad up with 38400 baud rate before it will receive information.

Please try this above and let us know how you get on.

Best regards

Also this link from us might help give you some tips.

https://www.quark-elec.com/how-to-boost-ais-reception/” class=”bbcode_url”>https://www.quark-elec.com/how-to-boost-ais-reception/

Anonymous

There is just two boats with AIS pretty close, so no massive traffic.

I have tried both 4800 and 38400 baud rate. I also tried switching polarity on the nmea wires.

Both mfd’s are set to display the AIS targets on the map.

Hello

That is strange for it to not work. Can I just confirm that you are still getting flashes from the AIS LED? If so then there is an issue with the connection to the chart plotters.

On the Simrad NSS3; please make sure that the ‘NMEA OUT’ cable is connected to cable 4 and 5 of the NMEA 0183 on the Simrad NSS3. I couldn’t say about the other chart plotter.

If you are worried that the unit isn’t working then please try the WiFi on your mobile phone or PC. Try it with the OpenCPN APP or easyAIS. This will show you what it is receiving. We are confident that it is working, as you mentioned seeing the LED flash. Please try the connections again and with WiFi on mobile. Please let me know

Best regards

Anonymous

It works in OpenCPN via WIFI/tcp :D

I dont get anything on the serial ports, what in the world am I doing wrong? Could the units be faulty? Is it possible to invoke some reply on the serialport? Like a debug sentence that would give a reply?

It is the “Nmea out” + and – that are the outputs? Its not labeled oriented from the mfd’s side?

Hello

That is good to know the unit is working correctly but it is a shame it is only working via WiFi/TCP.

So let me just check the Simrad NSS3 because we know this uses RS422 voltage like our equipment:

• orange and green for RX A/B connected to NMEA out+ and –

• you have set the baud rate for the A024 TO 38400 using configuration tool in windows

• set the baud rate on Simrad NSS3 to 38400 BAUD.

• green LED is flashing enough for you to see AIS targets

• I assume you have done all this but I have to ask to make sure that there are no errors. with that working my next suggestion I swap the NMEA OUT + and – around to see if you have any luck. I know you have done this already with no luck.

I cannot understand what the issue could the; my only theory is that it is a setting on the Simrad that hasn’t been clicked or the speed isn’t correct on one of the ends. please check over the speeds and settings again. if you have a multi meter handy then you could check the voltages of messages coming out of the unit. this will let us know if it is the unit or something else. this won’t damage the device as long as you don’t apply power to the junction box.

if you still have no luck then you can return the unit for a replacement one .

please let us know how you get on.

Best regards

Anonymous

I just have the Axiom Pro to test with now (and a computer with serial port).

But I just rechecked everything. Your AIS is set to 38400 on both input and output. The Mfd is set to 38400 on input.

I would upload pictures, but there limit for pictures here are tiny.

I will check with my second unit as well.

Any special routines for return?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Cart