Quark-elec NMEA Marine electronics Forums Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA Multiplexer) Cannot get A031 to work—solved(also discussed NASA masthead clipper issue)

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author

We have recently tested the two Wind sensors discussed in the above posts. Very interesting, with an oscilloscope the waveform from the ‘full system’ sensor shows as slightly different from the standard RS232 protocol(NMEA V1.5 or lower).

The standard RS232 waveform should be like this:

https://www.electronicdesign.com/what-s-difference-between/what-s-difference-between-rs-232-and-rs-485-serial-interfaces

From the first image, you can see the stop bit should be low(logic: 0) and the idle should keep low(logic:0) in the idle process.

Below are two waveforms showing the standard wind sensor output in comparison to the full system package sensor.
    The sensor from the full system keeps the signal at high level(logic:1) even during it’s idle state.

The good news is that the new Quark-elec A033 has no problem with this irregularity. So the A033 would be the perfect multiplexer if connecting to the Wind sensor from the ‘Wind Clipper System’, which was designed to connect to it’s own clipper system. (https://www.quark-elec.com/product/qk-a033-wifi-usb-nmea-0183-multiplexer-with-seatalk-converter/)

Alternatively, if you want the option to output to NMEA 2000, the upcoming A034 would be your solution.

Anonymous

Is there anything I can do with my A031? I have been trying to get this to work for a couple of years now. I also purchased the bridge from you on your recommendation that it would solve the issue.

Anonymous

An update on the Nasa Tactical Wind issue:

I had bought the A031 multiplexer but as I only had it about a week before discovering it didn’t work with my newly-purchased Nasa Tactical wind mhu, the nice people at Quark (!) agreed to exchange it for a A033.

So I now have the Nasa wind feeding into the Quark protocol bridge and then into the A033, all on NMEA0183. That then feeds into an A032 Converter which feeds to a B&G Vulcan 5 MDF via NMEA2000. I also have a Raymarine ST60 depth and speed feeding into the A033 via Seatalk1. Finally, I have an AIS already on the NMEA2000.

Amazingly, I can confirm that this appears to work – I can see everything, other than depth, on the Vulcan display.

I only just managed to get it all connected before the boat came out of the water this week, and so I have a fair bit of tweaking to do in the spring:

– the depth doesn’t seem to feed through at all (not really a problem, as I have the ST60 display in the cockpit)

– the Seatalk speed reading is a bit erratic; seems to sporadically jump up to 20 knots and then decline back down.

– the wind reading appears sound (although I have only observed it for about an hour, so this isn’t fully tested yet). I still need to re-calibrate/centre the wand which is achieved by connecting two of the terminals on the Nasa mastbase connector box, and I have heard stories with other systems of this resetting every time you power up. However there is a thread on another forum about how to solve this with a resistor.

But for anyone wondering whether the high-frequency Nasa unit works with the A033, I can confirm that it appears to.

Anonymous

We received our last order yesterday. Interested to see A031 has the new panel. On the new panel, these reserved terminals have been named as ‘COM’, we suspect if these are designed for RS232 protocol devices? Can Quark confirm this, please.

Hi PedroFed, Thanks. We would like to say it’s for singal end devices(some old NMEA 0183 devices). More details will be provided on the new A031 manual which will be available very soon.

Anonymous

I have finally get my NASA GPS sensor work without the protocol bridge. Hopefully, this image helps other people who have single end NMEA devices.

Anonymous

Hola.
              Tengo 3 equipos Plastimo Mavman, serie 100 el S-100, W-100 y D-100. Viento, profundidad y velocidad.
              He comprado un A031 y no consigo que funcionen, los lees de entrada están apagados. He probado de invertir la polaridad de entrada, con mas y sin masa , con la in-3 punteada a negativo y no hay manera que funcione. Que solución puede tener este caso??
              Gracias

Anonymous

For these who have the single output of NMEA data, please try below.

Connect the TX of your device to NMEA in- and then short connect GND with NMEA in + on A031. Make sure your NMEA 0183 device share the same power (normal the battery on your boat) with A031.

Below is an example show the wiring which AS06 connect to NMEA input1 of A031.

For some old devices, you probably need connect the TX to NMEA input +(not -) and the GND to NMEA input-, but this is uncommon.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Cart