Quark-elec NMEA Marine electronics Forums Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA Multiplexer) A034 USB Issue—solved by the automaticlly created log file

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi
      I’m experiencing a problem with my new A034-B. My bother-in-law has the A034 on his boat with a near identical set-up.
      Both MUXs have been upgraded to the latest available firmware.
      All the issues outlined here have been replicated using a different PC and his mux as well as on my boat with totally separate equipment.

The mux is connected to a N2K network with a Raymarine Axiom chart plotter and Evo autopilot. Input to the mux via NMEA is the AIS receiver.
      I run a boat PC tablet app that displays all the instrument data received via a TCP wifi connection.
      I have a built in PC connected to the MUX via USB running openCPN.

At all times the Raymarine chart plotter receives all the AIS data from the MUX. The PC app receives all wifi data except when the MUX crashes / restarts.

If I run OpenCPN on the PC connected via a USB port to the MUX it does not work (in OpenCPN) if the PC is started before the MUX.
      On the same PC using OpenCPN I can get a TCP network connection that receives fine.
      Sometimes on starting openCPN (not the PC) the mux can be seen to crash /restart (lights go out then slowly come back on, wifi data is stopped. It then is back running after about 10secs). At this moment the PC makes a sound as if a USB port has been physically removed and reinserted. This also happens when plugging in the USB port to the PC or MUX.

At this point the USB port is not functioning in openCPN. However, if I close openCPN then open the A034 config app it connects immediately and I can see data flowing. Even after this visible connection, if I close the config app and re-open openCPN it can sometimes crash the MUX but will never receive data.

If I am still connected to OPenCPN but not receiving data via USB (Wifi and N2K are all fine), I can now turn off then on the power to the N2K bus which turns off then on the MUX. Immediately the openCPN USB starts to work perfectly and receive all data from the MUX. – Everything is working fine.

We can replicate this over and over. If the MUX is powered before openCPN is started it will not connect via the USB port. The config app will always connect at all times. If the power is momentarily removed from the MUX whilst openCPN is running everything works from that point.

We tried this on two separate laptops with the MUX in my boat. Both laptops had the same behaviour. I took one of these laptops to my brother-in-law boat. He has a near-identical set-up but has a A034 (not A-034B). We were able to replicate the exact same problem.

In a nutshell the MUX appears only to talk to openCPN if you restart the MUX after the OpenCPN application has fully loaded.

I have made a couple of very poor videos attempting to show the problem – sorry they are not great.

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks Johnathan

Video – After Instruments on then Open CPN started https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkGvV34vdsLjh83Q9
      Video – After USB port removed and inserted https://photos.app.goo.gl/qkGvV34vdsLjh83Q9

Anonymous

Johnathan, evening

I am also experiencing the same issue, have you found a reasonable work around at all?

I am considering making an NMEA2000 cable with a 2 pole switch in so I can effectively remove power from the Quark. Or moving away from OpenCPN and using qtVlm, but I am yet to see if qtVlm has the same issue.

Ed

Anonymous

Similar issue here. After contacting Quark, i found a way to monitor the USB data. In the same folder of the configuration tool, there is a txt file which automatcilly save the data outputs from the USB. Not ideal, but works for me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Cart