QK-A024 output to Raymarine C70 problem

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA MUX products questions

QK-A024 output to Raymarine C70 problem

Postby Paul Clark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:21 pm

I purchased a QK-A024 AIS receiver in May of this year have only recently completed the installation. The unit is connected to a working antenna and displays a fixed red and flashing green LED. The NMEA output is connected directly to two listeners (a Raymarine C70 and Raymarine A50) both with ports configured to receive 38400 bps. Neither unit is receiving any AIS data.
Do you have any suggestions as to what might be wrong? I have double-checked all connections and can find no faults.
I can log onto the WiFi network with my iPad OK. Is there a simple app I can use to check whether AIS data is being output over WiFi?
Your assistance would be appreciated!
Paul Clark

Re: QK-A024 output to Raymarine C70 problem

Postby admin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 pm

Thanks for your information. Grenn LED flashing indicates valid AIS messages received.
''I can log onto the wifi network with my iPad OK. ''------Do you mean WiFi connection has been setup, but no AIS message received? There are few of APP on iPad you can use to check the AIS messages. e.g. Watcheye AIS, Imray instruments, iAIS.
Take iAIS as an example,
Run iAIS->Plotter->Instruments->Click top right icon->click 'TCP/IP', input 192.168.1.100 and 2000 as port number, then you should be able to receive AIS messages.
Let us know if you still have problem with it. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul Clark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you for your quick response.

OK - I have downloaded a couple of AIS programs, I can confirm that AIS data is being output over WiFi and received on my iPhone/iPad. However, I bought the unit to provide AIS over NMEA to my two Raymarine plotters. Neither appears to be receiving any AIS data. The connection is very straightforward, with two cables connected to the AIS NMEA output, one goes directly to the C70 plotter and one goes directly to the A50 plotter. Both of the receiving ports are correctly configured to receive 38,400 bps. I have unplugged, checked and reconnected the NMEA connector on the Quark unit. I can see nothing wrong with it. The C70 diagnostic function confirms that no NMEA data has been received.

I’m not sure what - if anything - I can do next to verify transmission of AIS data over NMEA by the Quark unit. Do you have any suggestions please?
Paul Clark

Postby admin » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 pm

Well, I didn't notice its Raymarine plotter, sorry. Can you please try to swap two NMEA output wires. e.g. connect the NMEA OUT + on the NMEA IN - and vice versa. I believe it will work. Keep us updated.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Paul Clark » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:42 am

Further to my last post I thought some other users might like to know that the connection you suggested about worked. For the avoidance of doubt that is:
Raymarine input positive to A024 output negative, and Raymarine input negative to A024 output positive.
This has worked on both the C70 and A50 plotters, wired in parallel. Thanks for your help in resolving this.
Paul Clark

Return to Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA MUX)