Standard Horizon AIS output how to connect to Belfield Chart

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA MUX products questions

Standard Horizon AIS output how to connect to Belfield Chart

Postby Hedda » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm

I have a Standard Horizon GG2200E VHF with AIS output and run Belfield Chartplotter software on a Linx 10 tablet running Windows 10. I've tried connecting the VHF AIS output to the tablet via the USB socket but can't get AIS data to display on the Belfield software although the tablet recognises that a device is attached to the usb port. When I look at Device Manager it recognises both the connection of the usb GPS dongle which works fine but shows the connection from the VHF as an "unrecognised usb device" and Windows searches for but can't find a driver. The AIS output on the VHF screen however works fine whether or not the tablet and radio are connected or not. Belfield software can't understand why as they are able to connect your AIS engines either by usb or WiFi without any troble. I've raised the problem with "Support" at Standard Horizon who simply automatically acknowledge receipt of emails but then don't respond to the question asked.

I've checked the usb output from the VHF's inbuilt AIS and get fluctuating readings betwee O and 5 volts so I assume the VHF is outputting the NMEA 0183 data.

My question is will connecting the VHF / AIS output to the QK-AO31 enable me to get the data into the Belfield software wirelessly and thus get the appropriate display on screen?
Hedda

Re: Standard Horizon AIS output how to connect to Belfield C

Postby admin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Can you please provide the details about your connection via the USB socket to the computer, images maybe? You should be able to get it works with your Windows computer without A031. The following link maybe helpful for you.https://sojosailing.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/how-to-connect-the-vhfaisgps-matrix-gx-2200-to-your-computer-the-inexpensive-way/
admin
Site Admin

Postby Hedda » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi,
I've connected the YELLOW AIS Data Output + and the White AIS Data Output - wires from the VHF to the GREEN Data + and WHITE Data - wires respectively fom the USB plug.
Regards
Hedda
Hedda

Postby Hedda » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi,
I'm still trying to solve this problem. I've followed the route described in the sojo sailing article but to no avail. There seems to be a problem with the drivers for the Serial/USB interface cable they used. Device Manager is telling me the Interface Cable is working correctly, but when I look at the USB aspect I get a message that the drivers need further installation. I think it might be because I'm using a Linx Tablet rather than a full blown pc and the tablet may be using a customised ,
/ cut down version of Windows 10. It's all very frustrating. If a QK-A031 Multiplexer will do the job over WiFi rather than using a physical connection I'll cut my losses and go down that route as it will also save me having to undertake a tortuous cable run involving removing headlinings or alternatively resiting the VHF
Hedda

Postby admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Hedda,
I wouldn't be able to guarantee that it would work but it does look like just the sort of situation where the QK-A031 is the answer. Perhaps you could send us some more exact specs and details on the SH you are connecting.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi Hedda,
I wouldn't be able to guarantee that it would work but it does look like just the sort of situation where the QK-A031 is the answer. Perhaps you could send us some more exact specs and details on the SH you are connecting.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA MUX)