QK-A024 and Standard Horizon GX1700e, nmea issues.

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA MUX products questions

QK-A024 and Standard Horizon GX1700e, nmea issues.

Postby Chiliblue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Hi,

Until recently my setup has been seatalk and a dAISy AIS receiver feeding a vyacht wifi multiplexer.

My vyacht wifi failed an was replaced by a new unit under warranty. I fitted it and discovered that the dAISy had stopped working.

When I looked into replacing the dAISy things had moved on in ais receivers and I stumbled upon quark-elec products, great! Uk based like myself, so less international shipping and complex support, langauge barriers, etc.

However I am struggling with getting the QK-A024 to place nice. The AIS works fine, even better now it is connected to my masthead antenna. I cannot get NMEA to function at all.

I have so fair tried NMEA from to points on my boats system.

1) Raymarine ST60 Multi - nmea out.
2) Standard Horizon GX1700E vhf/gps nmea out.

I believe both are RS422 at 4800, differencial +&- wires.

I have tried the wires both ways, and although I get ais via wifi to my opencpn nmea debug window I receive absolutely no positional data from gps.

The Standard Horizon GX1700 gps positional data is however received fine on my Raymarine ST60 multi when connected to the nmea input of the ST60 multi (rs422 4800) and that data is translated to seatalk and shared to the other devices on the seatalk network.

So I am at the end of the road trying to figure out the problem. I can only put it down to one of three things.

1)the nmea output isn't what the qk-a024 is needing (it should accept rs422 at 4800, right?)
2)the nmea side of the aka-a024 is faulty
3)opencpn doesn't accept positional data over wifi (pretty sure it does)

Can you please advise what the next step to resolving this? Is there the remotest chance that the unit I purchased in June is set to receive at 9600? As a thread on here indicates they were before Christmas?

Also while I am here is there any chance that you will do a 12v version of your ais receivers, the 5v is a really odd choice for a marine application.

Thanks in advance

Tom
Chiliblue

Re: QK-A024 and Standard Horizon GX1700e, nmea issues.

Postby admin » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi Tom,
Which device were connected to A024 NMEA input? Can you please provide images about the connections that will be much easier for us.
A024 does accept RS422 4800 messages.
Any A024 purchased after Dec 2016 were pre-programmed on 4800bps.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chiliblue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:04 am

Sorry no photos, the wires I use wouldn't tell you much as they are red and black and thinwall two core. I have swapped them backwards and forwards plenty of times.

I though my original post was quite clear but.

I have connected the A024 to rs422 nmea feeds from two sources (not at the same time obviously) I have changed the polarity (swapped the wires over) on both multiple times.

NMEA source one, is the nmea out from my standard horizon gx1700e (the gps sensor is internal to the vhf unit) this feed normally supplies my seatalk network via a ST60 Multi display. That has two wire rs422 nmea in, two wire rs422 nmea out, 2x 3 wire seatalk ports. when the nmea source one (vhf internal gps) is connected to the raymarine st60 multi it displays positional data locally (on the ST60 Multi display) and further down the seatalk network (positional data present on the RL70 chart plotter. Conclusion, the nmea source one works fine. If I however plug that into the A024 there is no positional data present on the wifi nmea stream received by opencpn.

NMEA source two, is the nmea out of the Raymarine ST60 Multi, it should repeat the nmea recieved from the nmea in and also translate into nmea data from the seatalk network. If I plug this into the A024 there is no positional data present in the wifi nmea stream received by opencpn.

I have used a multimeter to check if there is a differencial signal present on both of the nmea sources, there was.

I am out of ideas, I know that I have a working nmea source and that the A024 isn't passing it on to opencpn, as I have said before A024 is streaming AIS data to opencpn, targets are plotted to the chart.

I think I have taken this as far as I can take it with the single nmea source and the set of charting software I have available, the lack of positional data isn't only observed in opencpn.

What do you suggest?
Chiliblue

Postby Chiliblue » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi,

I called you and posted my a024 to you to check that it was working as it should, could you co firm you have received it and when I should expect it back?

Cheers

Chiliblue
Chiliblue

Postby lockie » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:02 am

I'll be very interested to see how you resolve this issue, as I had exactly the same problem. Quark could not fix it so I returned the product for a refund.
lockie

Postby Chiliblue » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:51 am

Hi Lockie,

Well I made some advances myself in that I was able test to see exactly what was going on with the various nmea feeds.

The standard horizon gx1700e is carrying several positional sentences.

However the output from the ST60 multi is only supplying, depth below keel, speed through water and water temperature (all translated from the seatalk side) That's odd as the ST60 multi is recieving and displaying a lot more. From both the nmea and seatalk side.

So I know the A024 was being supplied a working nmea feed at 4800 baud.

Will let you know how I get on.
Chiliblue

Postby Chiliblue » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:50 pm

Update.

I sent my A024 in to be checked.

It appears my A024 was set to recieve nmea 0183 @ 9600 baud. After reading this forum I knew it was a possibility even though my unit was ordered sometime after the change to a default setting of 4800 baud. Quark Electronic are changing this to 4800 I believe it will then work as it should.

It is worth noting that Quark electronic actually provide a configuration app on the downloads section of the site. I wasn't aware of that until it was pointed out to me today. The app would have allowed me to correct the baud rate issue myself. So if you have a A024 or A026 and are struggling trying to bring in nmea it's worth checking the baud rate it is set at.

Quark elec, thanks for taking time to look into my issue. Would it be possible to add the is requirement for all of the apps in downloads?

Tom
Chiliblue

Postby admin » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Tom,

We're looking at updating the Application Notes today and your shiny new A024 will be winging its way to you as well, sorry it took longer than expected!
Kit
admin
Site Admin

Return to Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA MUX)