QK-A024 GPS over WIFI

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA MUX products questions

QK-A024 GPS over WIFI

Postby contender » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Hi there,

Im using the QK-A024 together with my garmin gps.
All is multiplexed and the nmea sentences go over wifi with a speed of 38400 Baud. So far I understand it.
Apps on my android like opencpn thean can receive this sentences and display them. OK.

Now a problem today is that either you have a reasionable priced app with charts like navionics boating or Yacht Navigator
- but these do not allow input from the outside, use only the built in GPS -
or you get more or less free apps but have the problem that matching charts are expensive. With these apps you can get input from the outside over wifi.

Do you know about a way to receive the nmea data - from the wifi-network - on my android and use the sentences of the gps to mock up a fake local gps position.
So than the apps like navionics boating and Yacht navigator do not use the internal gps but the position coming in over the wifi? That would be great!
I heard about NMEA remote, but that app is just for ios. Same with GPS Teather, can connect to a tcp network only on ios.

Best regards

Michael
contender

Re: QK-A024 GPS over WIFI on Android

Postby Stenn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:19 am

Hi Michael. This isn't really what you were asking, since you want to feed GPS via WiFi, sorry, but I use "Bluetooth GPS" app and Bluetooth GPS external "mouse" to feed external GPS source to Android tablet or phone, running any Android app like OSM+ or OpenCPN....even works great on airliner with GPS mouse in my window, feeding our position, speed, and altitude to phone or tablet.
Stenn

Re: QK-A024 GPS over WIFI

Postby contender » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:07 am

hi sten, yeah right: what I'm looking foris app to feed nmea by wifi into my smartphone AND make it work like a fake internal gps.
But thank you for your info about the bluetooth app. Might by a fallback alternativ if I do not manage to get wifi working.
contender

Re: QK-A024 GPS over WIFI

Postby Chiliblue » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Surely the charts and their pricing is dependant on where you are. If you are in the US it isn't an issue electronic charts are free for opencpn etc.

Another way of looking at it would be to think if the plotter function on a phone or tablet as secondary, particularly if you are also going to use up to date paper charts hat way you could use older electronic charts or something basic like opensea charts. They are enough to plot an off shore route and for ais traffic to be plotted on that relative to you boat position.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on electronic charts alone. Uk wise there is a cheap chart set avaible from visitmyharbour and the android app will soon support ais overlay apparently.
Chiliblue

Return to Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA MUX)