A031 problems

Quark-elec AIS receiver and NMEA MUX products questions

A031 problems

Postby Fenders » Wed May 10, 2017 4:40 pm

I bought a Seatalk multiplexer Quark A031 last week having discussed with this forum the wiring arrangements between my Raymarine Seatalk instruments, a Quark 026 AIS decoder and my Lowrence chart plotter. As mentioned in my previous topic my intentions were to receive AIS data and data (depth and speed) from my Raymarine ST60 to display on my chart plotter.
I have followed your advise and wired the 2 units as described and I have a problem regarding the Seatalk data. The AIS data is displayed so all ok there.
The problem seems to be with the Seatalk converter. I have checked and rechecked all wiring connections but the data is not being displayed on the plotter.
The A031 is displaying flashing blue led's against the Seatalk input and the NMEA output.

Just to briefly describe my setup: From my Raymarine ST60 tridata I have connected a Seatalk cable and this is connected to the Seatalk input terminals, red to +ve, black to -ve and yellow to data.
I have connected the power supply so the unit shouldn't be receiving power from the Seatalk circuit.
On the NMEA output terminals I have connected 2 wires for out -ve and out +ve. These are directly connected to the input terminals on the A026 AIS decoder, negative to negative and positive to positive.
Also on the A026 I have connected the AIS antenna cable, a power supply through a 12v-5v transformer and NMEA output +ve and -ve which are connected directly to my plotter. This connection is good as I receive AIS data on my plotter.

I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

My understanding is that Seatalk data is 4800 baud and the converter increases this to 38400 and sends the data at this speed to the AIS unit which multiplies the data with the AIS data and transmits this combined data at 38400 baud to the plotter which I have set at 38400 so as to receive the data.

I have checked all connections and even swapped the negative and positive outputs from the converter just to be sure but still the same. I am only receiving AIS data.
Fenders

Re: A031 problems

Postby admin » Fri May 12, 2017 10:36 am

Hi Fenders,
Thanks for your information. Please provide a couple of images to show you've connected everything up so that we can be sure there isn't a problem with that side of things.
'The A031 is displaying flashing blue leds against the seatalk input and the NMEA output' this indicates that the Seatalk data signal has been properly received and decoded. So the issue will be from the multiplexer or output side.
Would you be able to connnect the A031 to a computer through the wifi or usb please, and then use putty or hyperterminal to monitor the output messages. If you can record those messages and send the log to us (or screenshot them) we will be able to form a much better picture of what is happening.
Send us the output through email if you don’t want to publish here. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Postby Fenders » Sat May 13, 2017 8:54 am

Thanks for your reply.

I will be going to the boat next week and will do as requested.

Fenders
Fenders

Postby Fenders » Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying. Another more serious matter on my boat needed addressing first.

As requested, attached is a photo of the A031 and A026. All indications appear correct as do the connections, which I have checked several times.
On the AIS side I am getting data on my chart plotter and I am very pleased with it.
I do not appear to be receiving Sea Talk/nmea data from the multiplexer on my plotter.
The plotter has only 1 port which is set at 38400 baud.
Am I right in thinking that my Sea Talk data is received at 4800 at the input side to the A031 and then is converted to NMEA and then transmitted to the AIS decoder which multiplexes the NMEA and boosts it to 38400 baud?

I am unable to connect a pc to observe the output messages.

Looking at my setup there is a possibility that the A031 and A026 could be swapped around in the data flow. I haven't tried that yet but just a thought as they both have NMEA input and output.

If the indications are as you would expect to see then I think it may be a problem with how my plotter is set up. I will contact Lowrance to enquire.

As a by product of this exercise are Quark looking at developing an AIS transceiver? ( Receiving and transmitting)

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Attachments
IMG_2726.jpg
A031/A026
IMG_2726.jpg (233.5 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Fenders

Postby admin » Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 am

Hi Fenders,
After checking the image you provided (thanks for doing that, it makes it so much easier to diagnose configuration issues when you can see how they are set up) we noticed the following problems; the default NMEA input data rate for A026 is 4800, so you cannot set the output data rate on A031 as 38400, they have to match. Please double check it and let us know how you get on.
There is a tranceiver in the works but it is early days and won't be available for a few months yet.
:)
admin
Site Admin

Postby Fenders » Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks for your reply.

As I understand it from the data sheets on your website, Sea Talk data input to the A031 is defaulted at 4800 baud. Other NMEA input is also at this speed. This is then transmitted through the output terminals at a speed of 4800.
From the A031 I have taken this NMEA output (4800) and sent it to the AIS decoder (A026) for multiplexing. The data from the AIS antenna and the converted Sea talk is then output together from the A026 at a speed of 38400 which my plotter reads.

Reading your reply suggests that NMEA output from the A031 might be set at 38400 which is the incorrect speed for the A026 to accept.
I haven't changed any settings on either device and so I am using the factory settings.
What is the default factory output setting for the A031? I would have assumed it was 4800.

Thanks
Fenders

Postby admin » Thu May 25, 2017 10:39 am

As the application note shows, you can always change/check the bandwidth setting through QK-A031 Configuration Panel:
http://www.quark-elec.com/download/apps/23-qk-a031.
If you haven't done any changes then the default output of A031 is 38400, which for your case should be 4800.
Keep us updated please.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Fenders » Wed May 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks for the advice.
I will give that a try and let you know how I get on.
Fenders

Postby Fenders » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:08 pm

Hi,

I have been away for a while so unable to report back.

I took a laptop to the boat and connected it to the USB socket on the A031.
I then downloaded the config tool in order to change the baud rates as advised by Quark.
The config tool appears on my screen and I make the required setting changes but when I click "config" this hasn't turned black and so unable to make the changes.

I have tried on several occasions over many hours, downloaded the drivers from the cd and from your website, and even attempted to make a connection via the units wifi.
I am receiving the wifi signal on the A031 and also my A026 (AIS), but unable to make any changes.

In your documentation it mentions that changes are made through the chart software. If that is the only way of making changes then I have a problem in that my chart software is part of my plotter system (Lowrance Hook using Navionics) and not chart software that is installed on a laptop or iPad. Also my plotter has only one port for receiving or sending data. It cannot do both and I have chosen to use the port for receiving AIS data from the A026. This part works very well and I am pleased with the results.

I may be missing the obvious and welcome your guidance on my setup

Thanks
Fenders

Postby admin » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:14 pm

It looks like your A031 doesn't been connected with the configuration application. Can you please try this generic software to see any luck?
http://www.quark-elec.com/download/apps/38-quark-elec-generic-mux-and-wifi-configuration-gui
Please keep us updated. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Marine Electronics(AIS/NMEA MUX)